Wednesday 15 December 2010

Ushaw

Rubbish that it is being shut and so soon. This is Northumbria for goodness sake, land of St Cuthbert etc. Have some pride. Once these places are sold and gone they ain't never coming back.

I was a student at Durham a long while back, ('89-'92, so there,)and one of my friends, who was studying Theology, was friendly with a couple of Ushaw students. I knew them in a round about kinda way and they came to her wedding a few years after we graduated.

Anyway, a post on Seraphic Singles reminded me of something that my 19 year old self baulked at all those years ago. This was quite a common experience for me because it seems that I was unknowingly living through strange times where quite a lot of things were not as they should have been.

It came up in conversation that students up to a certain year were allowed to have girlfriends. I should say that that neither of my friend's friends did. This jarred on lots of fronts. Very very bad for the seminarian and what the hell does that say about how you regard woman or how seriously you take marriage? So, if that sums up what was going on, no wonder it's closing.

No comments: