Tuesday 13 July 2010

Lay it down!


Checking that no famous Newman hymn escapes an outing in September, I found myself listening to a couple of MIDI versions (Aren't we all grateful things have moved on a bit!) of things and happened upon Fanny Crosby and Lay it down!

Leaving aside the musical worth, I'm digging the dark glasses.
Don't mess with Fanny! Of course she is wearing them because she was blind and her biography on the link says:

Fanny Cros­by was prob­ab­ly the most pro­lif­ic hymn­ist in his­to­ry. Though blind­ed by an in­com­pe­tent doc­tor at six weeks of age, she wrote over 8,000 hymns. About her blind­ness, she said:

'It seemed in­tend­ed by the bless­ed prov­i­dence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dis­pen­sa­tion. If per­fect earth­ly sight were of­fered me to­mor­row I would not ac­cept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been dis­tract­ed by the beau­ti­ful and in­ter­est­ing things about me.'

In her life­time, Fan­ny Cros­by was one of the best known wo­men in the Unit­ed States. To this day, the vast ma­jor­i­ty of Amer­i­can hymn­als con­tain her work.

She died in 1915, aged 95.

8000 hymns. Impressed.


She would not care if you were liturgically entertained as long a you laid it down sinner.

No comments: